Yesterday I sewed together all the Disappearing Pinwheel blocks for the center of the quilt. There were lots of points to match, and I found myself forced to use pins. There was also a lot of wonkiness due to all the bias. It will be fine, but if I ever made another I would make my own pinwheels first, in an evenly divisible size, rather than use the technique shown here. But I like the fabrics together.
I also sewed 88 scrappy HSTs for the outer border. This is already pretty large, and I ran out of orange fabric, so it’s not getting much of a border.
I am going to use all this peachy tone-on-tone space for some feathers. I was studying up last night from these three books, including my Christmas gift, Fabulous Feathers and Fillers by Sue Nichols. This book has useful information on designing and drafting feathers, but isn’t exactly what I thought it would be. She makes beautiful feathers, on a home machine, but they are very tight and regular, and she marks them all first. I’m looking for something more organic and freehand. Karen McTavish’s are like that, although she’s using a long arm, as does Judy Woodworth. I seem to make mine in a different direction than they do. I don’t know if that’s important, but I’m going to think about it.
I’m linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.