Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 3/19/17

No new fabric was purchased this week, and the Star Wars quilt was completed, so I’m really moving into the black.
This week:  + 0 yards,  – 5.75  yards
This year: + 38 yards,  – 56.75 yards
Net destashed added in 2017:  18.75 yards
This will be the last Report for a few weeks because I’ll be away from my machine while traveling.  That means no fabric usage, and possibly some buying!

Good luck to you in using your stash!  I’m linking up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times. 

Advertisements


2 Comments

Friday Finish: Star Wars

IMG_2825Here’s my latest finish.  It’s a fun size (48″ x 60″), and was quick and easy to make.  It includes two Star Wars fabrics, some batik, some metallic print, another gray print, some blue Grunge, a blue geometric, and some Kona Ash.  I found these scraps while straightening some of my fabric drawers and decided to make them up for donation.

2017-03-17 15.50.04How do you keep your blocks in order for assembly?  Usually I number them using Crayola Washable marker.  This time the blocks were too dark, metallic, etc., for the marker to show up on most of them.  Instead, I used numbered bits of blue painters tape, which was really more work than I wanted to do.  These stuck long enough to get the blocks to my sewing machine, and it went together properly.  However, the tape started to come off as I was sewing and stuck to everything else in sight.  I wore a few numbers to dinner that night, and I am still finding them.  Please tell me a better way!

IMG_2826The quilting was a lot of fun.  The light-colored diagonals are sewn with Superior NiteLite (glow-in-the-dark) thread, and I experimented with some decorative stitches to put a little more thread on there.  I use gray Bottom Line for the swirls and ribbon candy.

IMG_2827I pieced the back with more of the scraps.

IMG_2829I haven’t decided where I’ll be donating it yet, but I have a few ideas.

I’m linking up to Sew Some Love at Kat and Cat Quilts.


2 Comments

WIP Wednesday


The Star Wars donation quilt is all finished and washed up.  I’ll take photos of it as soon as this wind dies down.  We didn’t get the snow (just a covering), but we did get the cold and the high winds.


Today I started on Clue 3 of the Surrounded by Scraps mystery quilt.  I made all twenty of these units, but there a couple more steps for the next few days.  

Hope you’re sewing every day this month for March-A-Long, and making lots of progress!


5 Comments

Sunday Stash Report: 3/12/17


In the two weeks since my last report, I finished the Orange Cabin-ish Quilt for 4.75 yards, and two sets of donation blocks that totaled 3.75 yards.  And no fabric was purchased!

This week:  + 0 yards,  – 8.50  yards
This year: + 38 yards,  – 51 yards
Net destashed added in 2017:  13 yards
Yesterday it was cold here, but nice and bright, and I was alone all day, so lots of sewing happened!

I’m linking up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times. 


1 Comment

WIP Wednesday


While I was cleaning out and refolding some fabric drawers, I came across the scraps from a couple of Star Wars quilts.  The 10.5″ square was already cut, and so were many of the 6.5″ squares.  I decided to use them up by making a quilt to donate.  Shouldn’t take long to get the rest of it together.


Hope you’re all safe from the severe weather going on.  Some of us are cozier than others!


1 Comment

Design Wall Monday


Doing some staring and thinking about a direction for this top.  I will probably do some kind of cropping on the corners.

So far I’ve observed March-A-Long by doing something in my studio every day.  I made donation blocks, cut my scraps, packaged some blocks and quilts to mail, stared at my Storm at Sea top, and, yesterday and today, made some more heart blocks for HollyAnne.  March is one of those in-between months when progress can stall if we don’t make an effort.  My January was super productive, February not bad, but other things are starting to take my attention now, so we really need March-A-Long.  Darla has recorded some inspiration here.

I’m linking up March-A-Long at The scientific Quilter.


6 Comments

Another Cabin-ish Finish

img_2817bHere is the second of the small donation quilts made from 7.5″ “log cabin” blocks.  These have the large 3″ centers again, and I didn’t even bother with “logs”.  I just used 2.5″ strips, arranging the colors to imitate log cabin blocks.  I set them in the Barn Raising design.  It finished at 42″ x 63″ before washing.

img_2820Like the first one, I chose the fabrics for this quilt after first choosing the backing fabric.

img_2818img_2819

After quilting between all the blocks, I quilted ribbons in the white areas (Sulky), and feathers in the print areas (Superior Living Colors).

img_2822This quilt will also go to A Mother’s Hope, at Margaret’s Hope Chest.

I’m linking up to Sew Some Love at Kat and Cat Quilts.