Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


1 Comment

Sunday Stash Report: 5/6/18

My last Stash Report was a looong time ago. Since then the only thing I’ve finished was the Tree wall hanging, using 2.5 yards.

This week I bought 7.75 yards of fabric. I do want you to notice that most of it is low volume, so I’m trying to meet that goal.

This week: + 7.75 yards, – 2.5 yards

This year: + 42.5 yards, – 60.5 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 18 yards

How is your destashing going?

Advertisements


1 Comment

March and April and May Goals

So, where did March and April go? It’s not like I was enjoying the warm weather. I remember the end of March, and making a vague attempt to blog, but the days just kept passing by. And when I don’t have clear goals I don’t sew every day and make the kind of progress I could.

I did well enough with my March goals, and for April, I made the Tree wall hanging and part of Clue #4 for Summer Stars at Fawn Lake.

March (April) Goals:

  1. Participate in March-Along, sponsored by Darla, the Scientific Quilter. Yes, I think I only missed three days during the month, so I consider it a success. Thank you, Darla!
  2. Clue #3, Summer Stars at Fawn Lake. Yes, and I’m working away on Clue #4
  3. Make blocks for Kat’s March/April Covered in Love block drive . Yes!
  4. Complete donation top using green and white leader-and-enders blocks I’ve completed. Yes, and I quilted it.

Bonus: I turned a backing scrap with a tree print into a wall hanging.

May Goals:

  1. Complete Clue #4, Summer Stars at Fawn Lake.
  2. Complete Clue #5, assembling the top.
  3. Make donation blocks (This month, Kat asks us to make blocks for her friend Briawna.)
  4. Make a low-ish volume baby quilt.

Now the weather really is warm (in the northern hemisphere), so long overdue gardening will be competing with sewing. Good luck to all of us on our goals this month!


Leave a comment

WIP Wednesday: Tree Quilt

First, let me apologize for all the snow some of us are having. I’m pretty sure it’s my fault, after I publicly declared that one (about three snowstorms back) our “last”. And last week I put away my boot tray from the front door. Sorry.

I have made very slow, incremental progress on the tree panel. Thank you to Gretchen and Jaye for your suggestions.

I’m not usually a fan of medallion quilts, so I didn’t want to go that way. I added some borders, but not too many, because they already bring it to 35″ x 45″. I cut off the top of the tree, to help with the proportions, but also because I saw a wonderful tree quilt by Cathy Geier that extended the leaves out into the border, so that’s what I want to do. Not that I think I’ll come anywhere close to hers. I’m thinking of bits of snipped fabric for the leaves.

And I think that sunbeam on the right needs to be highlighted.

So far I’ve used invisible thread to quilt in all the border ditches.

I can’t promise huge progress on this soon. DS is home, so we’ve been doing some things, and DH and I have gone on some outings just from cabin fever.

Hope you’re make good progress on your projects.


2 Comments

Design Wall…Thursday. Whatever.

This is the leftover fabric from the backing for the Ombre donation quilt. I didn’t plan it this way. After cutting (tearing) my two backing pieces, this is what was left.

I haven’t trimmed it yet. I’m just looking at it and pulling a few scraps to go with it.

What would you add to this or do with it?


Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 3/25/18

I made some progress this week on using the stash. This donation quilt used about 11.5 yards, and I bought one yard of gray fabric.

This week: + 1 yards, – 11.5 yards

This year: + 34.75 yards, – 58.0 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 23.25 yards

And I’m continuing to make hundreds of these little guys for Summer Stars at Fawn Lake.

Keep using your stash!


4 Comments

Spring Greens

2018-03-23 13.49.56This week’s finish is a twin-size donation quilt.  I made the forty-eight 16-patch blocks as leaders and enders over the last year or so.

2018-03-23 13.50.57I love all the squares I put together, but they do look more interesting up close.  I thought the citrus greens would keep it bright, but when the blocks were finished, they were pretty dull.  That’s why I bought the ombre fabric to use for borders and sashing.

Of course, I had hoped to miter the border corners and let the green flow around the quilt without interruption, but I didn’t have enough fabric.  I used scraps to make the cornerstones instead.

2018-03-23 13.51.41The backing is a watercolor forest print.  I used the trimmings for the binding.

2018-03-21 13.22.00And here it is against the last snow of the winter (download).

Hope you’re keeping warm and having some great finishes!


2 Comments

Sunday Stash Report: 3/11/18

As I often say, lots of sewing but only one small finish. I made these twelve donation blocks for Kat’s March/April block drive. They used two yards of fabric.

But I didn’t buy any fabric, so that helps.

This week: + 0 yards, – 2 yards

This year: + 33.75 yards, – 46.50 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 12.75 yards

I am continuing to work on this leaders and enders quilt.

I didn’t have enough fabric to miter the borders (so that the colors matched, so I made these cornerstones.

Hope you’ve been using your stash!