Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


2 Comments

WIP Wednesday- Red, White, and Blue


I’ve had zero sewjo lately.  To be honest, the only reason I climbed the steps today was so that I’d have something to blog about today and Sunday.  Sheesh!

I made a bit more progress after the photo.  I have the centers to two wall hangings that just need borders, hopefullyou tomorrow. 

Hope you are making progress!


1 Comment

Sunday Stash and March/April Goals


Well, I bought fabric and I haven’t really completed anything, despite make progress on a few things.  This batik will be a backing, so hopefully it can be counted out soon.

This week:  + 12.25 yards,  – 0  yards
This year: + 50.25 yards,  – 56.75 yards
Net destashed added in 2017:  6.5 yards

“Surrounded by Scraps” by Charlotte Hawke


The warm weather is really slowing sewing production!  However, I’ve inched along and gotten a few things done in the past two months.

March/April Goals:

  1. Make donation blocks for Kat’s Covered with Love.  Yes!  And mailed!
  2. Clue 3 for Surrounded by Scraps.  Yes!  And the next one, the top is finished.
  3. Finish the orange Cabins donation quilt.  Yes, also mailed!
  4. Storm at Sea Quilt:  Decide about cropping corners, finalize quilting plan, trim excess batting, sandwich, begin quilting.  I worked on this.  I made a number of decisions about quilting, and trimmed some of the batting.  I still have more marking before I begin quilting.

May Goals:

  1. Make blocks for Kat’s May/June block drive.
  2. Begin the Twilters! facebook group quilt along.
  3. Make backing and sandwich Surrounded by Scraps.
  4. Make summer/patriotic wall hangings.

Hope youre making all of your goals!

I’m linking up to Sunday Stash Report at Patchwork Times.


1 Comment

WIP Wednesday


I haven’t been here in a long time!  First, we spent a few weeks on vacation.  Since we’ve returned,  the weather has been so warm that we’ve worked outside nearly every day.  And, it’s getting to that time when the upstairs sewing studio is hot and not as attractive.


I have managed to put together most of the top to Surrounded by Scraps, Charlotte’s mystery quilt for this year.  The top three rows are complete, and I’m almost finished with the bottom two.  I’m quilting this in two sections  and putting them together later.


And I cut my “layer cake” for the Twilters! quilt along in May.

Hope you’re enjoying the spring (or fall!) weather. 


Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 3/19/17

No new fabric was purchased this week, and the Star Wars quilt was completed, so I’m really moving into the black.
This week:  + 0 yards,  – 5.75  yards
This year: + 38 yards,  – 56.75 yards
Net destashed added in 2017:  18.75 yards
This will be the last Report for a few weeks because I’ll be away from my machine while traveling.  That means no fabric usage, and possibly some buying!

Good luck to you in using your stash!  I’m linking up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times. 


2 Comments

Friday Finish: Star Wars

IMG_2825Here’s my latest finish.  It’s a fun size (48″ x 60″), and was quick and easy to make.  It includes two Star Wars fabrics, some batik, some metallic print, another gray print, some blue Grunge, a blue geometric, and some Kona Ash.  I found these scraps while straightening some of my fabric drawers and decided to make them up for donation.

2017-03-17 15.50.04How do you keep your blocks in order for assembly?  Usually I number them using Crayola Washable marker.  This time the blocks were too dark, metallic, etc., for the marker to show up on most of them.  Instead, I used numbered bits of blue painters tape, which was really more work than I wanted to do.  These stuck long enough to get the blocks to my sewing machine, and it went together properly.  However, the tape started to come off as I was sewing and stuck to everything else in sight.  I wore a few numbers to dinner that night, and I am still finding them.  Please tell me a better way!

IMG_2826The quilting was a lot of fun.  The light-colored diagonals are sewn with Superior NiteLite (glow-in-the-dark) thread, and I experimented with some decorative stitches to put a little more thread on there.  I use gray Bottom Line for the swirls and ribbon candy.

IMG_2827I pieced the back with more of the scraps.

IMG_2829I haven’t decided where I’ll be donating it yet, but I have a few ideas.

I’m linking up to Sew Some Love at Kat and Cat Quilts.


2 Comments

WIP Wednesday


The Star Wars donation quilt is all finished and washed up.  I’ll take photos of it as soon as this wind dies down.  We didn’t get the snow (just a covering), but we did get the cold and the high winds.


Today I started on Clue 3 of the Surrounded by Scraps mystery quilt.  I made all twenty of these units, but there a couple more steps for the next few days.  

Hope you’re sewing every day this month for March-A-Long, and making lots of progress!


5 Comments

Sunday Stash Report: 3/12/17


In the two weeks since my last report, I finished the Orange Cabin-ish Quilt for 4.75 yards, and two sets of donation blocks that totaled 3.75 yards.  And no fabric was purchased!

This week:  + 0 yards,  – 8.50  yards
This year: + 38 yards,  – 51 yards
Net destashed added in 2017:  13 yards
Yesterday it was cold here, but nice and bright, and I was alone all day, so lots of sewing happened!

I’m linking up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times.