Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


8 Comments

Log Cabin Finish

img_2811These aren’t traditional log cabin blocks.  The centers are large, and there are only two “logs” on each side.  They are only 7.5 inches square, and there are fifty-four of them.  The quilt came out 42″ by 63″, but that was before it was washed.  I didn’t piece these to a foundation, just started adding to the center squares.  That made it much easier to chain piece them.

img_2814The colors are inspired by both Spring, and the backing fabric.

img_2813I quilted this with Sulky white and Superior Living Colors pink thread.  The bottom thread is Bottom Line.  The batting is Warm and Plush.

img_2815This is going to Margaret’s Hope Chest for a program called A Mother’s Hope.

 

 

Advertisements


1 Comment

Force Awakens Quilt Finish

IMG_2717Today I finished the little Star Wars quilt I worked on this week.  It evolved a lot since my first concept, but I like the way it turned out.  And I have a lot of left over fabric that I cut along the way, so there will be a sequel.  I wrote a tutorial on inserting the orange strips into existing blocks.

IMG_2719The back is a blue geometric, a band of of orange Fairy Frost, and a section of gray moonscape.

IMG_2716I quilted it in a six” grid with gray Bottom Line.  Then I used NiteLite Extra Glow thread (Superior) to quilt diagonal lines in the direction of the green streaks in the fabric.  I did both a long straight stitch, and #44, a “hand quilting” stitch.  This would take some tweaking to really look like hand quilting, but the forward and back stitching put down lots of thread to enhance the glowing effect.  I used this is a quilt I made my son long ago, so I know it last through years of use and washing.

Batting is Warm and Plush.  35″ x 41″

IMG_2729

Of course, Yuri snuggle tested it, and it passed.

IMG_2731c

Coming soon to an Etsy shop near you.


7 Comments

Finishes: Disappearing Four Patch and Baby Rail Fence

IMG_2229This week I finished the D4P, and then made the scraps into a fun baby quilt.  Read more about the construction here.  I made this (these) to use some small pieces of fabrics.  I won an eclectic bundle back in August.  It had some quarter yards, some fat quarters, some were “Wee Wanders” by Sarah Jane.  I also had some floral remnants left from bundles I had purchased.  All were pretty small pieces.   I knew I wanted to do a color fade.  I looked at a few patterns, including Robbing Peter to Pay Paul, but I came back to the D4P.  I added some Phillip Jacobs prints, some delicious coral batik, and some dark coral grunge.

IMG_2232IMG_2231

I stitched in the ditch between blocks, then quilted large roses and stylized flowers all over, using Bottom Line in Blush.

IMG_2241

For the baby quilt, I left out the darker fabrics, and paired it with a yummy Martha Negley strawberry, raspberry, meringue print.

IMG_2245IMG_2240I liked the spirograph-style flowers so well that I put them all over this quilt, as well as wavy lines, using a variegated pink Sulky thread.  I ran all the stitching edge to edge, so there were no slippery ends to bury.

IMG_2235

IMG_2242

Hope those of you in colder areas are staying warm and catching up on your sewing.

IMG_2237

IMG_2247I’m linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, and WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader’s Garden.  Hey, Angie!